SCABIOSA comes from the Latin word ’Scabies’ meaning ‘the itch.’ It was believed to cure scabies back in the day. However, it was not proven that it actually cures scabies. A Scabiosa variety was used to make herbal medicine to treat coughs, fevers, and skin inflammations. The native of this genus lies in Africa, Europa, and Asia.
The flower-heads consist of tiny florets framed by petals. The other English name ‘pincushion flower’ is a lot more friendly. it refers to the appearance of the flower. The plant’s fabulous berries complete the autumn feel!
All species have basal leaf rosettes and leafy stems that can be hairy or smooth. The flower heads have many crowded, small, five-lobed, mostly bisexual blooms. There are larger female flowers in the outer ring, and a circle of leaf like bracts occurs below each flower head.
the pincushion flower comes in a wide range of colors. Blue, purple, and white are the the most common, with other colors available, but the most popular varieties (and those easiest to find) come in these shades.
- ‘Black Knight’: This variety produces burgundy flowers with prominent white stamens that look striking when paired with green or white flowering companions.
- ‘Butterfly Blue’: These are very common in the trade. The flowers are more lavender than true blue.
- ‘Fama White’: They produce white flowers that are twice as large as ‘Pink Mist’ or ‘Butterfly Blue’. This variety thrives in areas with cool summers.
- ‘Kompliment’: These are similar in appearance to ‘Butterfly Blue’, but are hardy to zone 3.
- ‘Pink Mist’: These clear pink flowers look so feminine.
The fantastic sweetly scented Scabiosa represents pure love. It radiates warmth, love, purity and peace. That immediately makes it the perfect gift for a special occasion or to give someone a boost. If you receive one, you should definitely feel honoured!