Chrysanthemums (mums) are one of the most popular fall garden flowers. The name chrysanthemum is from the Ancient Greek words Chryos meaning gold and Anthemon meaning flower. These flowers are sometimes called mums or chrysanths and they are native of Asia and North-East Europe.
Chrysanthemum flowers bloom in a range of colors in shades of white, yellow, orange, lavender, purple, or red; as well as bicolor flowers.
Chrysanthemum flowers are the second most popular flowers in the world, next to rose. There are 40 wild species and thousands of varieties of chrysanthemums. The varieties can differ in size, colours and number of flowers per stem. There are many hybrids and cultivars available.
Let’s take a look at some of the different types of chrysanthemums.
The Many Health Benefits of Chrysanthemums
Some of the helpful ingredients found in mums include calcium, beta-carotene, magnesium, potassium, ascorbic acid, essential oils, fiber, iron, Vitamin C, riboflavin, niacin, and folacin. Drinking tea made with the flowers of the chrysanthemum plant offers relief for a variety of ailments, including:
- Sore throats
- Eyes that are inflamed
- Skin conditions such as boils
- Tightening of the chest
- Hypertension (high blood pressurre
How To Brew Chrysanthemum Tea
A Few Words of Caution
Like other herbs and natural remedies, no one should consume chrysanthemum tea without first speaking to a qualified physician, especially if you already take prescriptions or have any medical conditions.
Also read about: flowering plants with medicinal value
Did you know?
- Chrysanthemum is the official flower for November.
- This flower is considered one of the Four Gentlemen in Chinese culture which reflects its importance as a symbol in the artwork.
- Chrysanthemums are the traditional Mother’s Day flowers in Australia.
- This flower also represents the royal family of Japan.
- The potted Chrysanthemums contribute to better air quality as per the studies of NASA.
- Chrysanthemum festival is held every year in Tongxiang, near Hangzhou, China.